Monday, November 05, 2007

Hingis tests positive for cocaine and retires


ZURICH (Reuters) - Former world number one Martina Hingis said on Thursday she had tested positive for cocaine during Wimbledon this year and announced she was retiring from the professional tennis.
"I have tested positive but I have never taken drugs and I feel 100 percent innocent," the five-times grand slam champion from Switzerland told a news conference.
"The reason I have come out with this is because I do not want to have a fight with anti-doping authorities.
"Because of my age and my health problems I have also decided to retire from professional tennis."
In a statement later released by her management, the 27-year-old said she found the accusation of drug-taking "so horrendous, so monstrous, that I have decided to confront it head-on by talking to the press."
The statement added: "I would personally be terrified of taking drugs. When I was informed (about the test) I was shocked and appalled."



yeah, sure, your not doing drugs but you'll retire when your caught....er....i mean, accused of it. i'm throwing the bullshit flag on this one

No comments: